Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Life as a Poor Little Rich Girl



Image: Huguette Clark
Huguette Clark as a teenager.

I have devoted way too much time over the past couple days reading about the mysterious Madame Huguette M. Clark.  Huguette Clark May 24 2011 Obituary in the New York Times

I am not sure, yet, why I am so fascinated. MSNBC has an extensive archive of stories about her - from her father's climb to become one of the richest men in the nation, her life as an eccentric heiress and recluse, her paintings, her convicted sex offender accountant, and the jewelry collection now up for auction.

According to a 2012 New York Times article on her three(!) apartments on Fifth Avenue, “It was like going back in time 100 years,” one potential buyer said. “There was oak paneling and original wood floors, and in the kitchen there were appliances from 1915. It was a throwback.” There are no published photos of her past the 1930s.  She is frozen in time.

I can daydream about "my" life as a poor little rich girl in the early 1900s, but this is a daydream for my ancestors had a very different life in Oklahoma as pictured here in 1908.


My father's father, Wallace, is standing behind his father

January 1, 2013 -  an update on the Huguette Clark story

No comments:

Post a Comment